Harvick Scores Pole Award at Atlanta
NASCAR Cup Series
Oral-B USA 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway
- Kevin Harvick and the No. 4 Jimmy John’s Chevrolet SS team scored the pole award for Sunday night’s Oral-B USA 500 after posting a lap time of 29.118 seconds and a speed of 190.398 mph in the final round of qualifying on Friday night at Atlanta Motor Speedway (AMS).
- As AMS is a 1.54-mile track, qualifying was broken down into three rounds. In the first round, Harvick posted the 16th-fastest speed and advanced with the top-24 teams to the second round. In the next session he posted the second-fastest lap time and moved on to the final round with the other top-12 drivers. In the last session he posted the quickest lap to score his sixth pole award of the year. Prior to the 2014 season, Harvick had scored just six pole awards in his entire NASCAR Sprint Cup Series career.
- Brad Keselowski, Kyle Larson, Ryan Newman and Matt Kenseth complete the top-five starting positions.
- On Friday, teams had a 90-minute practice session to prepare for qualifying. The No. 4 team made two runs in race trim before swapping over to make a mock-qualifying run. Harvick completed a total of 2 laps during the session and ended up 17th on the speed chart.
- Teams have two additional practices on Saturday to prepare for the race. FOX Sports 2 will have live coverage of both sessions at 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. ET.
Harvick on qualifying at Atlanta Motor Speedway:
How much did the car change throughout the qualifying rounds? “Our car didn’t really change that much. I just messed the first round up really bad trying to do something that I wasn’t doing in practice. Luckily we were fast enough to be able to get through the first round into the second round. The second round we got into a little better rhythm where I wanted to run on the race track. I’ve got to thank everybody on our Jimmy John’s team. They make my life a lot easier on Fridays and this is a lot of fun.”
The following is the starting position of the other SHR teams in Sunday's race:
- Tony Stewart and the No. 14 Bass Pro Shops/Mobil 1 Chevrolet team will start 12th.
- Kurt Busch and the No. 41 Haas Automation Chevrolet team will start 22nd.
- Danica Patrick and the No. 10 GoDaddy Chevrolet team will start 27th.
Race Coverage Information:
ESPN will provide live coverage of Sunday’s race at 7:30 p.m. ET. PRN radio affiliates and Sirius XM NASCAR Radio will provide the live radio broadcast.
Next News Story →
← Previous News Story