Harvick Finishes Eighth at Charlotte
NASCAR Cup Series
Mobil 1 Driver Advances to Fourth in Championship Driver Standings
Date: May 28, 2017
Event: Coca-Cola 600 (Round 12 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Charlotte (N.C.) Motor Speedway (1.5-mile oval)
Format: 400 laps, broken into four stages (100 laps/100 laps/100 laps/100 laps)
Start/Finish: 1st/8th (Running, completed 400 of 400 laps)
Point Standing: 4th (388 points, 103 points out of first)
Race Winner: Austin Dillon of Richard Childress Racing (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Winner: Kyle Busch of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)
Stage 2 Winner: Martin Truex Jr. of Furniture Row Racing (Toyota)
Stage 3 Winner: Denny Hamlin of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)
Stage 1 Recap (Ended on Lap 100):
- Kevin Harvick started first, finished third and earned eight bonus points.
- Fell back to second at the start but gained a position on pit road during the competition caution to regain the lead.
- Gave up the lead to come to pit road under green-flag conditions on lap 66 for four tires, fuel and several adjustments.
- Led twice for 41 laps in Stage 1.
- Pitted for four tires, fuel and multiple adjustments following Stage 1 and won the race off pit road to retake the lead.
Stage 2 Recap (Ended on Lap 200):
- Started first, finished 13th.
- Gave up the third position to come to pit road under green-flag conditions after reporting a loose wheel on lap 124.
- Lost a lap to the leaders and dropped to the 23rd position due to the unscheduled pit stop for the loose wheel.
- Severe weather led to a red flag on lap 144 lasting one hour and 48 minutes.
- Returned to the lead lap under caution on lap 150 by way of a free pass immediately following the weather delay.
- Restarted 22nd on lap 154 and raced up to 13th by the end of Stage 2.
- Pitted for four tires, fuel and air pressure adjustments following Stage 2 and gained five positions on pit road.
Stage 3 Recap (Ended on Lap 300):
- Started eighth, finished seventh and earned four bonus points.
- Slid through oil on lap 147 and nearly spun while racing in the 10th position, but saved it without making contact with the wall.
- Pitted under caution on lap 249 for four tires, fuel and air pressure and wedge adjustments.
- Restarted 14th on lap 253 and raced his way to the 11th position by the caution on lap 294.
- Raced his way up to seventh in the final three laps of the stage and stayed out following the stage.
Final Stage Recap (Ended on Lap 400):
- Started seventh, finished eighth.
- Pitted from the seventh position for four tires, fuel and air pressure adjustments under caution on lap 330.
- Restarted sixth on lap 333 and raced into the top-five by lap 334.
- Surrendered the second position for a four-tire pit stop under green on lap 369.
- Several cars gambled on fuel strategy that paid off, and Harvick raced to an eighth-place finish in the closing laps.
- Harvick won the pole position for the Coca-Cola 600 on Thursday night with a lap of 27.918 seconds at 193.424 mph.
- Harvick scored his 15th top-10 finish in 33 career NASCAR Cup Series starts at Charlotte and his seventh top-10 finish of 2017.
- Harvick scored 12 stage points and led three times for 45 laps.
- Austin Dillon scored his first career NASCAR Cup Series victory.
The next event on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the AAA 400 Drive for Autism on Sunday, June 4 at Dover (Del.) International Speedway. The race starts at 1 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FS1.
Next News Story →
← Previous News Story