Harvick Finishes 2nd at Texas
NASCAR Cup Series
AAA Texas 500 at Texas Motor Speedway
Budweiser Racing Team Notes of Interest:
- In his 500th NASCAR Sprint Cup Series start, Kevin Harvick and the No. 4 Budweiser Chevrolet team scored a second-place finish in Sunday’s AAA Texas 500 at Texas Motor Speedway.
- Harvick started the race from the fifth position and remained inside the top 10 for most of the race. He battled a loose-handling race car, and crew chief Rodney Childers called for various chassis adjustments to help improve the car’s handling as the track conditions changed throughout the course of the race.
- Varying pit strategy in the late stages of the race put Harvick 12th on the lap 317 restart and within three laps he was up to eighth. He continued racing his way to the front and was scored in the fourth position when the caution flag waved at lap 331.
- The late-race caution set the field up for a green-white-checkered restart at lap 334. Harvick lost some ground on the initial restart, but was able to get back up to fourth before the caution flag waved again. When the field took the green flag for a second attempt at a green-white-checkered finish, Harvick got a solid start and race his way up to second in the final laps.
- Jimmie Johnson scored the win in Sunday’s race. Harvick, Brad Keselowski, Kyle Busch and Jamie McMurrary completed the top-five positions.
- With one race to go before the final four championship contenders are decided, Joey Logano and Denny Hamlin leave Texas tied for the lead in the driver point standings. Ryan Newman and Jeff Gordon round out the top-four spots. Harvick remains eighth in the standings, but is now just six points back from the cut-off point for the final round of the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup championship.
Harvick on his finish at Texas Motor Speedway:
“You just try to do all you can do. I’m proud of all my guys on our Budweiser team. We fought all day and put ourselves in position to win. A lot happened at the end of this race, and we were able to put ourselves back in the hunt (for the championship).”
The following is the finishing position of the other SHR teams in Sunday's race:
- Kurt Busch and the No. 41 Haas Automation Chevrolet team finished eighth.
- Tony Stewart and the No. 14 Bass Pro Shops/Mobil 1 Chevrolet team finished 11th.
- Danica Patrick and the No. 10 GoDaddy Chevrolet team finished 36th.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams travel to Phoenix International Raceway for the Quicken Loans 500. On Sunday, ESPN will have live race coverage at 3 p.m. ET while MRN Radio affiliates and Sirius XM NASCAR Radio will provide the radio broadcast.
Next News Story →
← Previous News Story